Do Cats Need Supplements?

There are a lot of supplements on the market not just for people, but for your pets too. Recently I was asked whether supplements are worthwhile for cats.

From experience, I can say I’ve had a couple of cats who I did give supplements to based on my veterinarian’s direction. One cat had a knee injury and was limping. The vet suggested trying a glucosamine supplement which is designed specifically to improve joint health.

supplements-for-cats

At first, I was a bit hesitant because one, giving a cat a pill is not fun or easy. Cat owners can relate I’m sure. And two, I’m always leery of side effects. I followed my vet’s advice and gave her the supplement. I’m glad I did because the glucosamine did help my cat, and there were no bad side effects.

Not having much medical knowledge at the time, not that I do now, but that was the first supplement I ever gave my cat, I realized it was a universal supplement that people took too. I recognized it years later when my dad was taking something similar for his bad knees. Like people, cats can get arthritis too, and the treatment can be a bit similar.

I had another cat who had some digestive issues. When I brought her to the vet, her doctor opted for a supplement to help with her condition. She was on a cat probiotics supplement. And again no adverse side effects.

Based on my personal experience, I do think there are benefits to giving your cat supplements if there are conditions to do so. I have recently created a section on the site dedicated to supplements for cats. I’m in the process of getting more information added for you.

To begin with, I’m going to focus on the more common supplements such as glucosamine and probiotics. I’ve already added a page on giving cats fish oil. I’ve also written a review of Flexpet which is a cat joint supplement. Shortly, I’ll be adding information on l-lysine for cats.

If there are any other supplements or cat health issues you’d like to read about, please drop me a note. The best way to submit your suggestions in by going to this page.

The post Do Cats Need Supplements? appeared first on Meow Brand.



from Meow Brand https://meowbrand.com/cats-need-supplements
via MeowBrand

Comments

Popular Posts